Thanks for the idea. I didn't think that solution before, bacause in the previous PHP-version it was impossible to upload empty files. Now server makes empty file even, if there is no file to upload.

I still would like to know, where is the reason for the change of function in the server. Is there somebody, who knows?

If you don't want users to write empty files to your server, why don't you
just stop them ? You can write something like this:

if ($HTTP_POST_FILES['file1']['size']!=0){
  move_uploaded_file($HTTP_POST_FILES['file1']['tmp_name'],
$upload_dir.$HTTP_POST_FILES['file1']['name']);
}
else {
  echo "WARNING: File is zero size !!!<br>";
}

Mi5ha

--
Please enter your access password: penis
ERROR: Sorry your password is not long enough...

"Sami Kollanus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm using:
- Apache 2.0.40 server (linux)
- PHP 4.2.2

I use file uploads in my code, but there occured small problems with the
server update(from Apache 1.3.??, PHP 4.1.2). is_uploaded_file()- and
move_uploaded_file()-functions don't work correctly any more. Or
actually the file upload system doesn't work correctly.

The problem is to recognice, when the user try to upload a file, which
doesn't exist. It's possible to even write nonsense like "sdafasdf" into
the file type input-field (Mozzilla and IE). In that case the current
server writes an empty file named according to the text "sdafasdf".

When there is a legal empty file "uploaded" to the server,
is_uploaded_file() doesn't fail. So, there is no way to recognice, when
the user try upload a "nonsense-file".

Can anybody help? I don't know, if it's PHP or Apache causing the
problem. Is there any settings, which could cause this?