hi david. thanks for your reply.

the error will occur even when value is reduced to 500. by clicking on
the refresh button several times, it will produce different output.
sometimes it might display garbage even before the http header too.

realising that it might be a problem beyond the codes, such as at apache
webserver or php api level. i re-read the manual, and i read a warning
indicating not to use apache 2.0 and php in production environment.
thus i believe apache 2.0 is still not fully tested or stable for use.

now i install the MS IIS webserver on top my winXP, and then re-install
php on it. it is working fine now.

best regards,
raymond

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]