Only if you actually change any of the elements -- otherwise, PHP does
what's called a _shallow_copy_, which doesn't actually copy all the values
unless it becomes necessary.

>  (wouldn't
> pointers be nice right about now)

Well, how about references, then?  (And me, personally, I'd use isset()
rather than is_array().)

   if (isset($_POST)):
      $POST = &$_POST;
   else:
      $POST = &$HTTP_POST_VARS;
   endif;

Cheers!

Mike

Beckett Park, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]