Hello all !

Need a little help here. Is there a way to "translate"
variables/field names in an SQL statement?

I need to compare the "content" of two database fields that are in
different tables. The trick, though, is that I need to join two fields
together (as a string) before I compare it.

For example:

Table 1 has a field named username, with the following values:

  id | username         | first_name | last_name
  1  | prgn/jason       | jason      | x
  2  | falcon/paul      | pual       | wood

  *The username in table is composed of the user's domain name and login
   name. Those fields are separated in table 2. Like

Table 2
  id | username | domain | first_name | last_name
  1  | paul     | falcon | paul       | wood
  2  | jason    | prgn   | jason      | x

  * the data is rearranged, but it's the same.

  Now, I need to compare the values from table 2 to table 1. That is,
  I need to find if table1.username = table2.domain/table2.username  is
true.

  There lies my problem.
  How do I get mysql to translate:
   ... where table.username = 'table2.domain/table2.username'
    into
   ...where  'prgn/jason' = 'prgn/jason'
   and not into
   ...where 'prgn/jason' = 'prgn' / 'jason'    // division.

  That is, I need it to compare 'prgn/jason' (from table1.username) to the
string representation, of the values of table2.domain/table2.username
(i.e. prgn/jason) and not read it as 'table2.prgn' divided by
'table2.username' ?

 I have the following code:

" select * from table1 t1, table 2 t2 where t1.username =
't2.domain/t2.username' "

** how do I concatenate the two values, to compare it to that of table 1.
 i.e.  prgn/jason = prgn/jason   and not 'prgn/jason' = 'prgn' divided by
'jason'?

Please help.

-john