Thanks for the guidance guys...

Going on the idea that it was indeed a problem with script, arrays,
etc., I found a few things.  The display was well over 9000 characters
before it failed, so that 8k max thing was unlikely in this case.  But
it seems to have been fixed by other things done.  They all happened
at more or less the same time so not sure which was the culprit.

The first had to do with session_bug_compat_42.  The ini is supposed
to allow the error message to be shut off but doesn't.  I started to
get that error so the only way to eliminate it was to find the reason.
It turned out it was an empty table that caused it.

The next was a field name typo in an input query.

Third, another table was corrupt to the point of being 'occupied',
when looked at with phpMyAdmin.  Even so, my program had seemed to run
fine otherwise.

All in all, I'm happy for finding all these things.  We all should
have more difficulties, eh?  It would do us good.  <g>  Just kidding.

I have not yet tried too hard to reintroduce the problem.  If I take
the time or have other news, I'll be sure to post it.

Thanks again.

Floyd