Here is how I installed it and got it working.  This is straight out of
the PHP manual.  You should read it, it helps.

LIV. Mcrypt Encryption Functions

Introduction

This is an interface to the mcrypt library, which supports a wide
variety of block algorithms such as DES, TripleDES, Blowfish (default),
3-WAY, SAFER-SK64, SAFER-SK128, TWOFISH, TEA, RC2 and GOST in CBC, OFB,
CFB and ECB cipher modes. Additionally, it supports RC6 and IDEA which
are considered "non-free".
  _____

Requirements

These functions work using  <http://mcrypt.hellug.gr/> mcrypt. To use
it, download libmcrypt-x.x.tar.gz from here <http://mcrypt.hellug.gr/>
and follow the included installation instructions. Windows users will
find all the needed compiled mcrypt binaries here
<http://ftp.proventum.net/pub/php/win32/misc/mcrypt/>