I didn't want to steal a thread so here's a new one.

 I've seen this subject come up alot since joining the list last fall and
believe that the question meant to be asked never got the expected answer
simply because it wasn't asked in the correct way, myself being one of the
culprits.

 From scanning documentation and all the responses on the list we all know
PHP can do .htaccess type authentication by popping up the
username/password box. That's easy enough but, can you create a form page
in PHP prompting for a username and password and then redirect into
an .htaccess protected directory without having the server pop up another
username/password box?

Thanks,

Ed