Its a ternary operator

look at
http://www.phpbuilder.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=10235547

http://www.phpbeginner.com/columns/maxim/ternary

pete

Adrian Greeman wrote:
I am confused by the shorthand "if" notation.
For example I just saw this PHP snippet on another forum

<?
$bkgndClass = $bkgndClass == "darkBkgnd" ? "liteBkgnd" :
"darkBkgnd";
}
?>

I think it is an if but cannot find it in the manual.         How
is that written in the more normal notation -   if(){}   etc??

[And please excuse a slightly off-thread but related extension to
the question but I have seen similar in Javascript - namely --- var evt = (evt ? evt : ((window.event) ? window.event : null);
is this the same notation or something else?]

Regards Adrian Greeman