I think what you really want to do is place your downloadable files in a
directory that is not in your httpd's document root and use a password
protected PHP script to access these files and send them to the user after
authentication. I think you could accomplish this with the fpassthru()
function and the correct header. htaccess is just going to get in your way.

<?
 include("authentication.php");
 $filename="/path/to/directory/not/in/httpd/doc/root/mysecretpicture.jpg";
 $fp=fopen($filename, "rb");
 header( "Content-type: image/jpeg\nContent-Disposition: inline;
filename=\"mypic.jpg\"\nContent-length: ".(string)(filesize($filename)) );
 fpassthru($fp);
?>

You've got to make sure that the user that your httpd runs as has permission
to access /path/to/directory/not/in/httpd/doc/root/

James