OK, this is the URL that my code produces after it get's the my_var from
the mysql table.
my_var in the table is => whatever whatever  "whatever whatever"

So I do a select and I do a $my_var = $myrow['my_var'] (after all the
proper mumbo jumbo about the $myrow = mysql_fetc_assoc...etc.)

I then do a $my_var = addslashes($my_var)as well as $my_var =
urlencode($my_var).
 Then I simply create a link like so:

echo '<a href="page.php?my_var='.$my_var.'&next_var=blabla">link</a>';

Clicking on that link displays exactly the following in the browser's
URL location:

page.php?my_var=whatever+whatever++%5C%22whatever+whatever%5C%22&next_var=blabla

And now, on page.php

If I do an

echo stripslashes($my_var);

I get exactly this: