At 10:58 24.06.2003, dorgon said:
--------------------[snip]--------------------
>can cookies be stored for single browser instances (windows)?
>does the browser send some information that could be uses?
--------------------[snip]--------------------

Short answer - no, and no.

Cookies are stored browser-wide, and if the user presses Ctrl+N (or else)
to open a new window you would never detect it. Even using some
sophisticated techniques like session access counters, session serial
numbers, etc, are not guaranteed to work since the browser may have cached
the page contents and simply _locally_ copied it to the new window, not
issuing a new request.

However you may use a serial number in session data that is incremented
with each request. Incorporate this number in any form or session-based
link to have the browser transmit it back to you. Then compare if the
serial number matches the expected vale; if not it's a reload and you can
proceed as seems fit.

However you don't have a chance to recognize if the reload comes from
simply a page reload, or from a window clone.

BTW - this is the reason I have switched off session cookies at my servers.
Having the SID available allows to run more than one session from a single
browser instance.

HTH,

--
   >O     Ernest E. Vogelsinger