I have a form that takes a file name, a starting time, ending time, starting
date and ending date.  It then submits this data into a php script to pull
data from the file for the time specified.

It would look something like this:
File Name:  Snafu.txt
StartTime (local military): 17:00
EndTime (local military): 23:00
StartDate: 06/23/2003
EndDate:  06/23/2003

The Snafu.txt file consists of a series of lines with 6 comma seperated
columns.  The second comma of which being the unix time stamp of the *zulu*
time that data line was created.

Here is what's weired.

I use these lines to get the specifics:
$StartHour = substr("$StartTime", 0, 2);
$StartMinute = substr("$StartTime", 3, 2);
$EndHour = substr("$EndTime", 0, 2);
$EndMinute = substr("$EndTime", 3, 2);
list($SMonth, $SDay, $SYear) = split('/', $StartDate);
list($EMonth, $EDay, $EYear) = split('/', $EndDate);

I then do this:
$SUnixTime = mktime($StartHour, $StartMinute, 00, $SMonth, $SDay, $SYear);

This is what's being sent to the mktime:
(17,00,00,06,23,2003)

This is what it ouputs:
1056405600

Which is not technically correct.  That is the unix time stamp for the
starting our in Zulu time (greenwich mean time) which is currently 5 hours
ahead of my timezone.

Can anyone tell me why mktime is automatically converting to zulu time?

Thanks,
Glenn