Hello,

Jean-Christian IMbeault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've installed PHP from source and MySQL 4.0.9 from rpm on my RH 9
> machine.
>
> When I try and connect from php using mysql_connect() I get the
> following error:
>
> Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through
> socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
>
> The server is up and running and I can connect fine using the command
> line client.
>
> Do I need some special configuration?
>
> Any advice appriciated!

Not sure but you can try this:

First, using the command line client, check whether you're using the
correct socket.

  mysql> status;

Then, make sure that you have the same entry inside "/etc/my.cnf". (Or,
you can just change the value inside my.cnf to point to /tmp/mysql.sock-
-and see if it works.) Restart mysqld after making any changes...

HTH,

- E -