In .htaccess use SSLRequireSSL for AuthType Config and redirect to https
using ErrorDocument.
Example for  www.foo.goo/sec
.htacess
--------
AuthType Config
SSLRequireSSL
ErrorDocument 403 https://www.foo.goo/sec
Options -Indexes
--------
Options directive is not neccessary but I assume that if you want a
secure conection then directory listing are not desirable.

-Stathis.