Jim,

The key words are "implode" on the PHP side and "split" on the Flash side. Here's an example:

The data is returned from PHP like so, after doing the connect, select, etc. to produce an array of 7 dates for back issues ... no claim that this is optimal code.

if( $result && mysql_num_rows( $result ) >= 1 )
{
while( $row = mysql_fetch_array( $result ) )
{
$arrdates[] = $row[ dtStory ];
}
$issuedates = implode( ",", $arrdates );
}

echo "issuedates=".$issuedates;

and in Flash, as part of the LoadVars varGetDates.onLoad = function( success) callback is handled like so ...

_root.arrIssueDates = issuedates.split( "," );
_root.dtDate = _root.arrIssueDates[0];
for (i=0; i < arrIssueDates.length; i++)
{
   //load  combo-display and data same in this case
   cboIssueDates.addItem(arrIssueDates[i],arrIssueDates[i]);
}