Justin French <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you care about performance at all, try and find away around the
> problem without regular expressions...
>
> I tested
>
>       if( (strlen($str) == 6) && (is_int($str)) )
>
> vs
>
>       if(ereg('^[0-9]{6}$',$str))
>

> ...on my LAN test server with 100000 iterations, and the regexp was
> nearly 2 times slower than the first solution. IMHO, it's also faster

Excellent point! I find my self using regex's a bit to often when there
are other solutions available.

btw, have you ever tested the difference between

        if(ereg('^[0-9]{6}$',$str))
        if(preg_grep('^[0-9]{6}$',$str))

I've been meaning to find out advantages/disadvantages with PERL vs.
POSIX compatible.

Curt.