My suggesstion would be as your adding the data to the database convert the
£ to £

Thats should solve the problem however not provide an explaination for what
is occuring here.

Dave

"Bob pilly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hello all
>
> Can someone tell me where i am going wrong here. I am trying to echo a '£'
to the screen which has come from a database field. I get the field by:

> $notes=%row["notes"];
>
> and the feild contains the data £25000, however when i echo this to the
screen i get £25000. I have tried htmlentities() but obviously that outputs
&pound; as it should. html_entity_decode() makes no diference either. Any
suggestions or pointing me to the right function docs etc would be greatly
appreciated!