Sorry to be a stickler... but _technically_ the backtick is shorthand for shell_exec(). exec and passthru are a little different.

Mike Migurski wrote, On 2003/Jul/25 11:12 AM:
Thanks for the replies guys but the main reason I'm doing this is
because most times I don't have access to the servers, or not enough
preveleges to install myadmin or any other tools. I wish we had our own
server but I'm trying for a solution where you can't upload any tools and
cannot access system commands.

Curt's suggestion does not require command-line access - the backtick
operator is a shorthand for exec() or passthru(), and is a language
construct of PHP. So yeah, don't reinvent the wheel.

http://php.net/manual/en/language.operators.execution.php