Hi,

CC> Thanks. But it looks like it's more complicated.
CC>         setlocale(LC_MESSAGES,'0')
CC> returns fr_BE, but it seems PHP looks in ./local/fr,
CC> not in ./local/fr_BE when searching the catalog files,
CC> at least on one webserver. (using PHP 4.1.2, the other PHP 4.2.3).
CC> I guess there is some kind of search path to locate the catalog files,
CC> with some preference order. Too bad the i18n PHP thing isn't
CC> more predictable :-/

CC> Of course, I restarted the webserver (apache reload) between tests,
CC> to avoid problems with the gettext cache.

CC> I think I'll simply copy ./locale/french to fr, fr_BE, fr_FR
CC> And something similar for dutch and german. But I thought there
CC> was some better and cleaner way to do it, in a more manageable way.

PHP does not set the paths for gettext it just calls the gettext
library function. According to the gettext web site docs gettext will
use setlocale() to find the right directory.

What happens if you drop the setenv() and just setlocale(LC_MESSAGES,'fr_FR')
(It works for me without the setenv setting)

--
regards,
Tom