--- Joe Harman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I curious if anyone knows of a PHP based Peer-to-Peer file sharing
> program out there! I have a friend that wants to implement this
> with his web server..

P2P isn't exactly something you do with PHP anymore than you would write a Web
server with PHP (which has been done, however, but I hope you can still see my
point). A better approach, in my opinion, is to think of ways to allow your
users to interact with a P2P network while using your Web application. There is
a command-line client for Overnet (http://www.overnet.com/), for example, and
PHP can interact with this to perform whatever tasks you want to expose to your
Web users. Most every P2P protocol I am familiar with does not fit well within
the Web paradigm (HTTP transactions, etc.). So, you have to be creative and
make your Web application provide the layer that interprets your users'
desires, executes the appropriate tasks using a P2P client, and displays the
results in a way that can fit into the Web paradigm (downloads will probably
take longer than you want to wait before responding to users, for example).

That's my perspective anyway (and I've been faced with this same task). Hope it
helps.

Chris

=====
Become a better Web developer with the HTTP Developer's Handbook
http://httphandbook.org/