On Saturday 09 August 2003 00:43, Cesar Cordovez wrote:
> I didn't read the fine manual.

Then you should!

 Where in the manual says: [move
> "fdftk.h" to "/usr/local/includes" and "libfdftk.so" to
> "/usr/local/lib"]? Huh?  The manual only says:

[snip]

Exactly.

> It *assumes* that you now that what_ever_file.h is an include and it
> goes into DIR/Include and what_ever_file.so is an object (module,
> library?) and it goes into DIR/lib and that DIR is /usr/local.

The manual has to assume quite a bit of stuff, like it assumes that you know
what a file is and what a directory is. It has to draw the line somewhere as
to what should be prior knowledge. It would be a massive manual indeed if it
had to cover everything from installing an OS to compiling php.

> More questions/comments about this stuff:
>
> If the manual says fdftk.h is a header file, why it should be in the
> includes directory as opposed to the headers directory?
>
> If libfdftk.so goes into the lib directory, it should be called
> libfdftk.lib!  Whats the meaning of .so? Standard Object?

The php manual isn't meant to be a tutorial on how to use a
computer/OS/compiler/whatever. For that there are better and more appropriate
resources available.

> Where is the unpacked distribution directory?

Wherever you unpacked it I presume?