This has been true since CGI began in the NSCA days.  Any program that can
take input from STDIN and output to STDOUT works as a CGI program.
Languages I have actually used in the CGI bin include, C, C++, AWK, Sh, PHP
and of course Perl.

The C program simply has to deal with the CGI variables coming in on STDIN.
There are probably many C libraries available to help parse this out into an
array or something.

This is actually a very good method if you want the fastest speed possible
form a web application.  Compile the C program statically for the best
speed.

John