At 2003-08-16 22:45 +0000, Curt Zirzow wrote:
>* Thus wrote Jaap van Ganswijk ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
>> At 2003-08-16 23:28 +0200, Peda wrote:
>>
>> When you have a shell login, try this:
>> - cd /tmp
>> - chown . <your_user_name>
>>
>> This probably gives an error warning.
>>
>> - chmod u+rw .
>
>Don't set your /tmp directoy to those settings. /tmp is a system
>directory and should not be owned by any paticular user nor have rw
>permissions for a paticular user.

You're missing some points here:
- When everything is organized okay, he can't make
  himself the owner of /tmp, so trying it doesn't
  hurt.
- But it isn't organized okay and he is asking how
  he can check/change it.
- It doesn't hurt when the /tmp directory is from a
  particular user as long as every one has read and
  write permission. Root and programs running with
  root-permissions can do what they want anyway.
- If he would manage to own the /tmp directory,
  changing his own 'u'=user permissions don't
  affect the permissions of others, but it would
  help him to solve his problem (and isolate the
  problem in case he would want a more fundamental
  solution).

>Refer to your OS manual

He wrote that he had problems with his site (and
not his server) so I assumed he was using the
server of a hoster and not his own system.

>or contact your system administrator and
>have him set the proper permissions on /tmp

Yes, as I also suggested he should contact his
system administrator when he can't solve the
problem using the described experiment.

But when he is on a virtual private server like me
(with no other users) he might also want to solve
the problem himself in the manner that I described.

On a virtual server each user has kind-of a complete
Unix file-system for his personal use, fully
separated from that of the other users. So each
user has his own /tmp directory. It doesn't matter
much who owns it then. In my case, my hoster already
made me the owner of the /tmp directory for example.

BTW. The disadvantage of this system is that whatever
is in the /tmp directory is part of one's quotum and
normally it isn't and one can use the /tmp directory
to use much more harddisk space than the quotum
allows, for example for expanding compressed archives
etc.

Greetings,
Jaap