Ok, here's the deal. I like to use $_GET and $_POST variables without values
to notify my scripts that some action must be taken. For example, given the
following URL:

http://blahdomain/blah.php?productid=1&edit

or given the following form element:

<input type=hidden name="edit">

My blah.php script will check if edit set using the following line:

if (isset($_REQUEST["edit"]))
{
..
}

and then it will take the appropriate actions (lets just say its updating a
record in the database). Locally I am running PHPv4.3.2, and everything
works fine. I have been working on a large web-based application for the
last month, and yesterday I put it up live. Our host unfortunately runs
PHPv4.2.1 and I have no access to the conf files (those bastards) and
globals are set to on. Low and behold, the isset function returns false when
a $_POST or $_GET variable is passed but contains no value, which would be
exactly the same thing as checking the variable itself:

if ($_REQUEST["edit"]) { }

What I want and needed to do was check for the existance of the variable,
not whether it has a value. So is this a bug, a feature or just some random
happening? Thank guys

PHP ROCKS