On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:07:34 -0700, you wrote:

>I don't know why but I've had the darndest time trying to find an easy
>equivalent of asp's InStr() function in PHP. I know there is
>preg_match(), strpos(), and strstr(), but none of them work like I want
>them to.
>
>In fact, except for maybe preg_match(), I can't get any of them to work
>right.
>
>I want a function that will return true if the string is found, and
>false if it is not found.
>
>Like this:*
>
>$needle = "&";
>$haystack = "Belle & Sebastian";

Hmm. Would you confirm that this code snippet doesn't work for you?

<?
$needle = "&";
$haystack = "Belle & Sebastian";

if (strstr ($haystack, $needle))
{
    echo ("strstr() worked<br>");
}

if (strpos ($haystack, $needle))
{
    echo ("strpos() worked<br>");
}
?>

Because if it doesn't, I think there's a problem with your install.

BTW, strstr and strpos don't return TRUE if a string is found. strpos
returns an index into $haystack, strstr returns a substring of $haystack.

Maybe you're doing this?

if (strpos ($haystack, $needle) == TRUE)

which would (I would assume) fail. Though PHP plays fast and loose with
types, so it might work.