* Thus wrote Daniel Bray ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> Ok, I have looked through the archives on both MySQL and PHP's lists, but
> I have not seen this asked or mentioned.  Weird, I thought this would be a
> common thing.  Is there a better way to randomly select a table from a
> database, than what I have come up with:

I dont see how finding a random table could be a common thing.

> <?php
>       srand ((float) microtime() * 10000000);

You don't need to call srand with php >= 4.2.0.

>       $table_array = array ();
>       mysql_connect("localhost", "mysql_user", "mysql_password");
>       $result = mysql_list_tables("database_name");
>
>       for ($i = 0; $i < mysql_num_rows($result); $i++)
>       {
>               $table_name = mysql_tablename($result, $i);
>               array_push ($table_array , "$table_name");
>       }
>
>       $rand_keys = array_rand ($table_array, 2);

Instead of looping through all the tables and building an array you
can do something like:

$n = mysql_num_rows($result);
$seek = mt_rand(0, $n-1);
mysql_data_seek($result, $seek);

Curt
--
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."