Hi,

I know a couple people who put together a Con once.  It wasn't a large one,
it only took up one hotel conference room, and the budget was kept low.  The
least he could sell tickets for was $250-$300 (somewhere in there) each.
That was without him turning a profit.

Now, take into account a con like this one wtih keynote speakers (most
likely paid), a large staff, a larger room (and probably multiple rooms),
more food, more drinks, more advertising, and $495.  That really isn't that
bad.  Expensive yet, but you have to ask yourself if the value is worth it
for you.

-Dan Joseph