The simple things are the stupidest. One thing I didn't do well enough.
Testing on different machines. I ran numerous tests from my own PC and
numerous tests from a development server using different software. Only
when Jason mentioned Mimetypes did I think about doing more tests on
adifferent machine.
My problem wasn't with the PHP, the server or anything else but with my
fecking version of Adobe Acrobat. After trying to open a different PDF
file I realised my problem. So after a re-boot of my PC everything works
fine.
Thanks for the patience and hope this lesson in my stupidity can help
someone else!

Steve Jackson
Web Development and Marketing Manager
Viola Systems Ltd.