PHP comes in three major compilations: module, CGI, and CLI. The module
only works for web server (that I know of) and is the fastest way to
serve PHP based content from a web server. CGI can be run for either the
shell, or from the web server. There is a performance hit when run from
the web server since the binary must be loaded on every request;
however, many hosting companies offer the CGI solution because it gives
the developer complete control over PHP version, extensions, and
anything else related to the binary itself. CGI as I said can also be
used for shell scripts. It was originally the only way to use PHP for
shell scripting until the recent addition of the CLI compilation which
provides features and enhancements specifically targeted at shell
scripting in PHP.

HTH,
Rob.

| InterJinn Application Framework -- http://www.interjin.com |