Do you have shell access(ssh)? You can use that. Other way is to ask your ISP to change the parmissions or to enable chmod command.

stratis Aftousmis wrote:

Hello, i will be a succinct as possible. I downloaded a php script (a chatbox) for my web page. The web page is from my ISP, 15Mb space, you have to have knowledge of UNIX and Html to use the service(to create the page and upload to the site). I wrote the page in Html, downloaded the php script, intalled and changed the file extention from html to php. The site from which i got the php chatbox script say's i have to 'chmod' the directory where the file's are to be created to 777...the script create the file's if they don't exist with 'touch':

<snip>
if(!is_writable($latest) || !is_writable($archive)) {
touch($latest);
touch($archive)
if (!is_writable($latest) || !is_writable($archive)) {
exit("$latest or $archive is not writable, please check your permission's and try again");
}
</snip>

One problem i have is the 'chmod'command is not implemented on this site (SunOS 5.8):

<snip>
lftp [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/public_html/ext> chmod 777 archives
chmod: Access failed: 502 SITE command not implemented. (archives)
lftp [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/public_html/ext>
</snip>

i then tryed to do using the php 'chmod' function to 777 on the directory in question, no go. (hey...don't laugh)

When i try to use the chatbox in question, i get the error's:

<snip>
Warning: utime failed: Permission denied in
/export/home/stratus/public_html/ext/minichat2.inc.php on line 102

Warning: utime failed: Permission denied in
/export/home/stratus/public_html/ext/minichat2.inc.php on line 103
/export/home/stratus/public_html/ext/archive/minichat2.latest or
/export/home/stratus/public_html/ext/archive/minichat2.archive is not
writable. Please check your permissions and try again.
</snip>

those line's are both the touch command's, the file's are not being created, it won't even work if i create them myself.
I *hope* that's enough info for a diagnosis. Any help would be welcome.

stratis.