[snip]
> As usual for *nix type 'which php' which will return the path to the
> PHP executable. For portability you could then do something to the
> effect of (not tested)

which() doesn't resolve the path, but I found out it was
/usr/local/php/bin/php.

But how do I make the call

                exec("/usr/local/php/bin/php process1.php");

so that the page from which the call is made doesnt wait for the result
but instead just continues?
[/snip]

use & (not tested, but runs other processes as background processes)