>From the documentation:

    http://ca2.php.net/manual/en/function.mktime.php

    "Date with year, month and day equal to zero is considered
     illegal (otherwise it what be regarded as 30.11.1999, which
     would be strange behavior)."

I think the point here to think about is that the date(), time(), and
mktime() functions all work with timestamps which happen to all function
with respect to the Unix Epoch (January 1 1970)

Cheers,
Rob.