From: "Jeff McKeon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Correct me if I'm wrong please, but I think number_format() has the
> adverse effect of changing the value type from numeric to char and
> therefore baring you from using it in mathematical equation later in the
> script.

You're correct (kind of). The _result_ of number_format() is a string, but
it doesn't change the original number (unless you're assigning it back to
itself). Even if you are, that's why you use it after you've done all of
your math calculations and only when you're ready to display the number.

If it's really an issue, you can alwasy use printf() or sprintf() to solve
this problem, too.

---John Holmes...