Install ZoneAlarm, and configure your web server to listen to IP 127.0.0.1. If you aren't using ASP and you are using PHP you might consider installing Apache for Windows. If your brother is attempting to exploit you from your LAN set the LAN trust level in Zone Alarm lower so that it is the same as the Internet trust level. Also make sure you have all critical updates installed for Windows.

Stephen Craton wrote:

This is kind of off topic but kind of not, it's your call. My brother came
home this weekend from college this weekend acting all cool since he has
been learning to hack. He was telling us (the family) how he did random port
penetration on the home network and he said my computer was the most
vulnerable with around 25 ports open. I didn't really care until about an
hour later he hacked into my computer and then reset it causing me to loose
all my important information. I told my dad and my brother promptly lied
about anything of the sort.

What I want to know.since I know the majority of my ports open are from
IIS.is how I can close these. I only need my local server accessible by just
my computer but the entire network too.just not the network.

I thought the ports would just be open on my computer and not the hardware
firewall and everything. I went ahead and turned on the Windows XP firewall
but I've heard it really sucks. So is there any way of closing the IIS ports
so my brother, and any other hacker, can't get in here and cause havoc?

Thanks,

Stephen Craton

http://www.melchior.us -- http://www.melchior.us/portfolio