On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 06:58:57PM -0700, Ed Kwok wrote:
:
:    I am running into problem parsing a file exported from MS excel.  I
: have exported the file as asci format, but there is a control "M"
: append to my document.  What is this control "M" and how can I delete
: without manually replace it? Is there any automated function I could
: use?  Thanks.

The CONTROL-M character is showing up because of newline differences
between different OSes.  You need a program that converts text files
between the different formats, i.e. does newline translations between
Mac, Unix, and DOS.