From: "Chris Shiflett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Curt Zirzow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, 01 October, 2003 22:53
Subject: Re: [PHP] "Too many connections" fix?

--- Curt Zirzow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This may be debatable, which is better? php searching through a
> pool of 1000 connections for a free one or the overhead of opening
> a new resource to the database each request.

I suppose people can debate just about anything, but I doubt anyone can come up
with any statistics to defend the stance that persistent connections are slower
under heavy traffic. Of course, I'd love to see people's results, but my
experience has shown quite the opposite.

Also, the difference becomes exaggerated with heavier traffic. So, a better
argument would be to ask whether the overhead of managing persistent
connections is worth it when you only have one database connection per hour. In
that case, it may actually be worse, but that's not the situation that was
described. :-)

Hope that helps.

Chris

=====
RAMP - Rapid AMP Training from the Experts
     http://www.nyphp.org/content/training/ramp.php
HTTP Developer's Handbook
     http://shiflett.org/books/http-developers-handbook
My Blog