John Wilcox wrote:
I've been trying to make a simple script which just
outputs the username that the script is currently
executing under (in order to test that suexec is
working properly).  I've tried using the following
line:

<?php print $_ENV['USER']; ?>

and it fails to produce any output and returns the
following error in my log file: "[Sun Oct  5 14:02:35
2003] [error] PHP Notice:  Undefined index:  USER in
/home/test/test.php on line 1"

Now, I've tried the same command on another server
running PHP 4.2.0 and it correctly outputs the
username as expected.  Both these machines are running
Debian Linux.

Try echo "<pre>"; print_r($_ENV); echo "</pre>"; to see what information is available in the ENV array.

Are both servers running the same implementation of PHP? (CGI/SAPI, etc.)

-- Burhan Khalid phplist[at]meidomus[dot]com http://www.meidomus.com