* Thus wrote Wang Feng ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> Greetings,
>
> Have been working with Windows for many years, I'm planning to *migrate* to
> Linux.
>
> Googled Debian vs. Redhat. Found that more commercial software vendors
> support Redhat rather than Debian. Why does this happen?

$$$ and marketing.

> Also, Debian contains more than 8000 packages, which is much more than the
> number of packages Redhat has, buy why the Redhat needs more than 600MBs
> harddisk space while Debian needs less than 200?

Quantity doesn't give something more Quality. How many of
those 8000 packages are you going to use? Probably the ~30
packages available on red hat.

The 600mb is probably reserved for their nice but unflexible rpm
system.

> Which one are you using or prefer? Why? Which one should I use? Suggestions?

Neither.. FreeBSD is the answer.

You might consider finding some more appropriate place to ask this
(besides being enitirely OT). What flavor of Linux to be used can be
discussed for hours at end. Some research and googling would
benefit also.

Curt
--
"My PHP key is worn out"