Adrian Teasdale <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    on Monday, October 13, 2003 3:54 PM said:

> An example of one of our search strings is:

[snip]

> Basically, is there anything that anyone can immediately suggest that
> we need to do to speed things up?

1. You could try changing 'docs.*' to a verbose list of each field you
want to SELECT. I've been told through numerous sources that even if you
are ultimately going to SELECT each field in a table it's still faster
to explicitly name those fields because the server does not need to
query the table ahead of time.

2. Why don't you explain what your database is used for and what each
field does? It's possible that there may be a more efficient way to
write your table thus resulting in faster search times.

3. I don't know much about indexes but are there indexes on each field
that you are searching? As far as I know indexes are supposed to be
searching up.

hth,
chris.

--
Don't like reformatting your Outlook replies? Now there's relief!
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/