I think always using addslashes is better because you have to write
clean cide instead of trusting in a funktion which can be disabled on
some servers.

To avoid double-escaping I use this code:

function stripslashes_array($array) {
 reset($array);
 while(list($key,$val)=each($array)) {
  if(is_string($val)) $array[$key]=stripslashes($val);
  elseif(is_array($val)) $array[$key]=stripslashes_array($val);
 }
 return $array;
}

if (get_magic_quotes_gpc()) {
  if(is_array($_REQUEST)) $_REQUEST=stripslashes_array($_REQUEST);
  if(is_array($_POST)) $_POST=stripslashes_array($_POST);
  if(is_array($_GET)) $_GET=stripslashes_array($_GET);
  if(is_array($_COOKIE)) $_COOKIE=stripslashes_array($_COOKIE);
}

------------------------
> If you are doing both addslashes() and have magic_quotes_gpc turned on,
> then yes, you are double-escaping things.

> From a performance-perspective I doubt you could measure much difference,
> but I suppose doing it through magic_quotes_gpc would be faster assuming
> you need to escape all your GPC data.  If you have a lot of GPC data that
> doesn't need to be escaped, then only running addslashes() on the data
> that needs it might be more efficient.

> -Rasmus

---------
Adrian