Actually it's more like the bank storing your money in a safe with glass
walls.

Sure the bank "stored" it, and stored it "securely" (it was behind glass
wasn't it?) but someone could easily break the glass and steal all the
money.

The argument from the customer would be "The company I put my trust in
did not take all the precautions possible to protect me and I think they
misrepresented the security of my data. If they had told me there are
flaws in my browser that could allow the leaking of my information I
would not have signed up in the first place."

Whether or not that's a good reason for a judge to rule on behalf of a
customer is another thing. But I just thought I should try to clarify.

Chris.

Sorry, but your comparison doesn't hold together--perhaps we should drop banks altogether and actually talk about computers :-)

Once the cookie is on the user's browser, it is in the hands of the user. I, or my company, have no control over what happens at that point. It is the user's responsibility--because he or she now holds that data--to handle it properly.

Cheers,

Marco