No, I copypasted as it is, only chaged the charset. But if I comment it out I get garbage. Now that I checked the headers apache sends I see why it it's so:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:21:58 GMT
Server: Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/1.3.28 (Mandrake Linux/3mdk) PHP/4.3.3

header content-type takes precedence before meta.

Cheba wrote:
Have You commented out Header() function?

Marek Kilimajer wrote:

Please reply to the list, your chance of getting answer will increase. Use reply all button if Netscape/7.02 has it.

I tried you example, except that my editor saved the page in unicode, so I had to change windows-1251 to utf-8. Then it displayed correctly.

Cheba wrote:

Ok. Try Yourself.

<?php

Header('Content-type: text/html; charset=windows-1251');

echo '
<head>
</head>
Русский Українська

?>

You shold have Cyrillic fonts to see difference.
Comment out line 3 (the Header() function).

Marek Kilimajer wrote:

That was the first mistake I noticed, now I see it was completely wrong, it should be: