[snip]
Just a small correction. I could be wrong but I don't believe XML is a
subset
of SGML but created to be used instead of. It was created from the
ground up
to replace SGML(not the easiest language to work with).
[/snip]

>From the first paragraph of the intro at http://www.w3c.org/XML/

"Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a simple, very flexible text format
derived from SGML (ISO 8879). Originally designed to meet the challenges
of large-scale electronic publishing, XML is also playing an
increasingly important role in the exchange of a wide variety of data on
the Web and elsewhere."

It is a subset of SGML (which is too far ingrained to go away).

For more on PHP and XML see http://us4.php.net/xml