From: Robert Cummings [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2003 12:47 AM
To: Teren
Cc: PHP-General
Subject: Re: [PHP] Executing shell commands

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 03:41, Teren wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to write a front end for something and I want to be
> able to execute shell commands. I tried all of the pre-written
> functions and non of them would work. I setup a user that can sudo and
> then i set apache to run as that user. So, what I tried to do is
> shell_exec("sudo -s; reboot;"); but that didn't work, I also tried
> other numerous variations all of which didn't work (also using exec(),
> system(), passthru()  ). If any one has any ideas how i can do this,
> please let me know. Thanks

I believe this has been answered quite recently and the large consensus was
to have a daemon (cron or otherwise) check for some status file or database
entry, which when set it would perform the required function. So for
instance to reboot the machine, perhaps a cron job would check for the
existence of /tmp/myFrontEnd/reboot and if found reboot the machine. Thus
the front end would only need to create the file.

HTH,
Rob.
| An application and templating framework for PHP. Boasting  | a
| powerful, scalable system for accessing system services  | such as
| forms, properties, sessions, and caches. InterJinn |