You can use addslashes and stripslashes when inserting and selecting
respectively.  addslashes will turn your name into O\'connel.  and
stripslashes will bring it back to the displayable format.

check out
php.net/addslashes
php.net/stripslashes

hth
Jeff

                      Steve Buehler

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        To:       PHP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
mysql <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                               cc:

                      11/07/2003 11:30         Subject:  single quotes in database

                      AM

I am using PHP/MySQL and am having a problem.  We have some names and
addresses in the database that have single quotes in them.  For
instance.  There is a town around here called "Lee's Summit".  Also names
like "O'connel".  When I pull from the database it skips these because of
the quotes.  I know there is something that I have seen before about this,
but can't find it now.  Can anybody help me?  I really hope this makes
since because I am sick today and am having a hard time thinking
straight.  Is it something that I will have to fix when putting things into
the database?  I am hoping on being able to fix this when going in and when
coming out of the database so that I don't have to go back and redo all the
ones that are already in the database.

Thanks
Steve