"Derek Ford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> news.comcast.giganews.com wrote:
>
> >I am an experienced web developer who is just getting into php.  I have
had
> >a php project fall into my lap and wanted a little advice.  Here is the
> >scoop:
> >
> >    A client moved their site from a server (unknown details) to a
hosting
> >facility (php 4.3.2).  Now none of the scripts work.  I have guessed that
> >they are coming from an earlier version of apache/php.  Anyway it appears
> >that whoever created the site in the first place did not believe in
scoping
> >variables.  Now any variable that is not properly scoped will not be read
by
> >the server.  I know I can simply scope all of the variables, but I was
> >hoping there may be an easier way.  Also, how bad is the _REQUEST scope I
> >read that "it could not be trusted", however the previous developer
created
> >the app in such a way that several places a variable could be _GET or
_POST.
> >I apologize for the rambling and possible incoherency of this message, I
am
> >a bit tired.
> >
> >Matthew
> >
> >PS. How do you scope queries?
> >

> You're thinking about this in the wrong way, it seems. The server
> probably has register_globals Off, where previously he was programming
> with it being On. or vise-versa. They should be Off, and should be left
> off, but programming with them off needs some adjusting. Variables such
> as post and get data are now 'superglobals', and must use the
> appropriate arrays; $_GET[], and $_POST[]. There are things like
> extract(), but using them is not advised. as per your question about
> "scope queries", be more concrete :)

I agree that is the way it should be, but my client is looking for a quick
fix, not a good one.  In the end it is fortunate for my client that the
quick fix is not a viable one.  I agree that all variables should be scoped,
it is the right way to do things.  I think I have my query question figured
out.

Thanks