Robert Cummings <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    on Friday, November 14, 2003 1:34 PM said:

> Be careful though, if your code incorporates other peoples code, for
> instance Smarty, or PEAR::DB then it may fall under their license. For
> instance if your code "depends" and I believe the key here is depends,
> on GPL code, then it falls under the GPL, even if you don't package
> GPL code with it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok so let's assume this is true (which it sounds like it is). So if you
wanted to make a profit (or break even, whatever the case may be) you
wouldn't necessarily be able to charge for the software itself but you
*could* charge for support and stuff like that right? I guess that's
like what RedHat and other vendors do?

So let's say, the code if free to download, but you could offer (1)
packaged versions with documentation, (2) a support contract, (3) a
setup fee (if the customer doesn't feel they are technically capable of
installing the software), (4) and whatever else you can come up with.

Sound about right?

Chris.
--
Don't like reformatting your Outlook replies? Now there's relief!
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/