> I'm seriously considering moving to php from a competing 3rd party
> application. I have a few basic questions.
>
> 1. What is the predominate OS platform php runs on? Recommended?
> 2. I'm currently well versed in Win 2000 & OS X. Are both "Well" supported?

So far the consensus seems to say stay away from Windows, Linux is the main,
but OS X is working fine.

> 3. When php comes out with a new major version (i.e. php 4 -> 5), how
> backward compatible is it? Basically, will I need to do a lot of recoding
> each time there is a new version in order to upgrade? (This is the biggy.)

Consensus here seems to indicate major upgrades do not equal major headaches
upgrading.

> 4. We are currently standardized on MySQL. I'm assuming MySQL is the
> database of choice or am I wrong?

Consensus again seems to indicate this or even many other databases is no
problem.

Well, it looks like you may have a new convert on your hands. If not an
instant convert, at least someone who intends to give php some serious time
in the coming weeks and months. ;-)

Thanks

--
Jim