Hi,
i am new to this list as well as to PHP. i am in a situatin where i want to
eval a string like:

eval('$return = $function($input);');

where $function is a string specify a function to call and $input is the
input parameter for the function. $return is just whatever is returned by
the $function. my problem is that if $function is NOT defined anywhere, i
got a fatal error like:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: ... <snip>

does anyone who how to trap this error if it can be trap at all? what i have
done so far is something similar to:

set_error_handler('myHandler');
eval('$return = $function($input);');

that doesn't seem to work at all as 'myHandler' is never called. i have
alose tried to check $php_errormsg but that doesn't seem to be helpful as
well. as a last resort, i tried:

error_reporting(E_USER_ERROR | E_USER_WARNING | E_USER_NOTICE);
set_error_handler('myHandler');
eval('$return = $function($input);');

that does seem to make the error stop appearing but my handler is still not
called. any idea?

thanks!
david