It's the garbage collector - session.gc_maxlifetime setting. The setting is server wide, unless you use your own session storage functions.

Anthony wrote:

I've got an issue with an app I wrote.  I store some information about the
user and if they are logged into the app in session variables.  The problem
is that if they leave the app idle for a while ( about an hour) the session
information is lost, so the user is prompted to log back into the
application.  I checked session.cookie_lifetime and it's set to 0.  The
client side is IE 5.5 or 6.  What could be causing the session to be lost?
Thanks for your help :)

- Anthony